Thursday, December 10, 2015

Dot.com Boom and Bust

I was in class the day the teacher explained the dot.com boom and bust but I was a little confused just because I did not know all of the companies he was talking about.

He used dinosaurs to represent the different types of companies- he had about 4 to 5 different types. He had a t-rex- that's the only one I knew/remembered the name of!  

Now I am looking back at the slides and I am still a bit confused simply because there was a lot that happened and as far as I can remember and what I see from the slides is that there were a few companies out there at the same time when the big world wide web was only a couple of years old. Some companies went under for the fact that they were bought out or they had crashed due to the other companies being bigger or better than they were. To have your hopes and dreams go up and down in a matter of a year or two is devastating. Going into that type of business one doesn't not foresee into the future and know what will make it big or what won't. Some of the companies that were around then are still alive today which must break the hearts of those that did not make it.

Some of the companies were CompuServ, AOL (which bought CompuServ), InfoSpace, Yahoo NFL, Pets.com (which went bust) and many other ones.

My overall opinion is that it was pretty crazy and I would be completely pi$$ed if I had a company that did not make it after all the craziness that went on and to see other companies thrive even though you were trying to as well. A lot of money was in the market but if you didn't make the cut you were sol. To those companies that did make it kudos to you and thank you for your services!

No comments:

Post a Comment